How to Re-Ship your Cross Border Purchases to Canada
If you don’t live close enough to a U.S. border shipping address to conveniently drive across the border and pick up your U.S. purchases, using a re-shipping service is the most convenient, cost effective shipping option for Canadian online cross border shoppers.
How it Works
Re-shipping services work in a similar way to U.S. border shipping address services, except they take the process a few steps further, delivering your U.S. online purchases right to your front door.
The process works as follows:
- Have your U.S. purchase shipped to the re-shipping service provider’s U.S. shipping address, preferably located right at the border. This allows you take advantage of the free U.S. shipping options offered by many American online retailers.
- When your goods arrive at their U.S. shipping address, the re-shipping service provider will transport your goods across the border, clear them with Canadian customs and bring them to their Canadian shipping facility.
Generally, the best re-shipping service providers are customs brokers who have Canadian shipping facilities located just across the border from their U.S. shipping address. This ensures they have the skills and knowledge to clear your goods with Canada Customs quickly and efficiently and can quickly and cost effectively deliver your goods to their Canadian shipping facility.
- Once your goods clear customs and are delivered to their Canadian shipping location, the reshipping service provider will ship them directly to your Canadian address using cost effective domestic shipping options that are far less expensive than international shipping prices, usually in the $8 - $15 range for a standard size package.
All of this happens seamlessly behind the scenes from the perspective of the Canadian shopper. All you have to do is provide the re-shipping service with your Canadian shipping address, package information and payment, and use their U.S. shipping address when making an online cross border purchase. They take care of the rest.
Before using any re-shipping service, make sure you do your research to make sure they are reputable.
There are many benefits to using a re-shipping service to get your goods to Canada, including:
- Avoiding expensive international shipping and service charges
- Convenient delivery right to your front door
- Free or Low Cost U.S. shipping
- Less expensive Canadian Domestic Shipping
- Seamless customs clearance
Keep in mind that you will have to pay the following costs / fees when using a re-shipping service, many of which you would have to regardless of the method you use to get your goods to Canada:
- U.S. Shipping Costs (if applicable). In many cases you will be able to find free U.S. shipping
- U.S Border Shipping Address Package Receiving Fee (usually in the $5 - $10 range)
- Customs Clearance Fee (usually in the $30 - $40 range)
- HST / GST / PST on your goods (depends on your province of residence)
- Canadian Duty (if applicable)
- Canadian Shipping (usually in the $8 - $15 range)