You are here

How to Get a Refund for Canadian Duty and Tax When you Return Goods to the U.S.

If you’ve ever shopped online, you already know that it is common to return your online purchases.

What you may not know is that when you return online purchases to the U.S., you can apply for a refund for the Canadian duty and sales tax (GST, PST or HST) you paid on those goods when you originally brought them in to Canada.

While most U.S. online retailers will accept returns and issue refunds for Canadian cross border purchases, Canadians can encounter issues obtaining refunds for the duty and sales tax they pay to the Canadian government when goods arrive in Canada from the United States.

If you purchase goods online from the U.S., you will probably have to pay sales tax (GST, PST or HST) and may have to pay duty on your goods when they arrive. If you return these goods to the United States, you can apply to the Canadian government for a refund.

Casual Refund Program

The Casual Refund Program allows Canadians who return goods to the United States to claim a refund for the duty and sales tax paid on those goods when they were originally purchased. Unfortunately, the process can often be confusing, frustrating and time consuming.

In order to claim a refund for Canadian sales tax and duty on goods that you return to the United States, you will need to prepare and mail your own B2G Form and supporting documents, including specific information about your purchase, the original duty and sales tax paid and evidence that the goods have been returned.